Thursday, March 8, 2012

Project 3-2

This is a fish bowl.
Karl Fisch
For the last month, I have been commenting on Karl Fisch's blog.  Mr. Fisch has been a teacher for twenty-three years. He has taught middle and high school students math and is currently Director of Technology at Arapahoe High School in Centennial, Colorado.  His blog is called The Fischbowl.  


First Comment
The first post I commented on was Videos I'd Like My Future Principal to Watch: PBL at HTH.  This video was about a high school called High Tech High.  This school was structured in a completely different way than most high school's are.  The kids learned different trade skills along with curriculum.  This is my comment:


Hey Mr. Fisch,
My name is Susie Salter, and I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I want to start off by saying that I love how humble you are. Not many people would admit that they would not hire themselves to teach in the dream school. Also, I love the way you write. It is very open and easy to understand.
When I first watched the video, I was completely surprised. The school was not what I expected. I think it is so great that they are teaching students real life skills. These things will help the children in the future. I also like the fact that the teachers treat the students as adults. I was always irritated in high school because teachers would not treat me as an adult. I felt like I was capable of making my own decisions, but my independence usually just got me into trouble.
I look forward to reading more of your blog posts. You can visit our class blog at edm310.blogspot.com
Sincerely,
Susie Salter



Second Comment
The second post I commented on was Trends I'd Like My Future Principal to Consider: Jobs Are Disappearing But Work Isn't.  This post was basically about how schools are set up to help students in the old workforce.  Schools have rigid instruction and grade systems that make kids not want to learn.  Students need to be life-long learners to succeed in today's job market.  This is my comment:


Hey Mr. Fisch,

I commented on one of you posts a few weeks ago. My name is Susanelle Salter, and I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I think this post was a lot to think about. We do have to be life-long learners to survive in the workforce today. You are right about schools; they do not teach us this principal. Classes make people think in the mindset of "if I can just get through this, I'll be done." Classes should not make students hate learning, and I think the rigid structure of some classes does just that.

Susanelle Salter








No comments:

Post a Comment